11.03.2006

don't leave, DrFran!

A lot has been going on with Second Life lately. There's a big commotion about the private island price hike, and the chaos that surrounded that fiasco. Basically, Linden Labs decided to raise the price of private islands by closing down the ability to purchase them, then telling everyone, "hey, when we decide to sell islands again, there will be 150 available at the old price, then they jump by a huge amount effective immediately".
Brilliant, I know.

Anyway, because so many people threw a fit, they apparently decided that was a bad decision and have now said that until November 15, private islands can be purchased at the current price. After that date the price will increase (by an additional $100/month - not small change, here).

So, because of all of this, I think a lot of people are taking another look at how much Second Life means to them and if this extra cost would be worth it. I know I have been. I've decided that if the price of my current island goes up another $100/month, that I'll no longer keep that island. Yeah it's great to have your own space, and it's great to feel like you're in control of that land in ways that you couldn't be if you were on the mainland with everyone else, but that's not what it's all about for me.

Second Life for me is about the community there, and the ability to be creative and meet new people and share my work with others. Can I still do that without my own island? Absolutely. Will it allow me to have the same control I have now? Probably not, but that's ok. I'll still be able to build, and sing, and make art, and hang out with my friends if I'm not on my own island, and I'm ok with that. To be honest, the part that upsets me most in thinking about giving up my island is that the people that have come to make "Mill Pond" their 2nd home, will have to move. That's disappointing for me because my whole goal was to make Mill Pond an area where people would want to be, to relax, and hang out, and be creative and comfortable. So to have that go away would make me sad.

*On another note, one of my favorite people in Second Life has become disinterested in it and is considering leaving. Don't leave, DrFran :( we'd miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home